Thursday, November 5, 2009

Toys, toys, toys

Ok, parents and grandparents...we buy all of these toys for ourselves and the joy we feel when we see them opened. We want a big production and a lot of drama when they discover what Santa brought. From my perspective, it isn't good for the children. What really lasts and is played with over and over are good basics. A really nice table and chairs that will stand up through years of use and several children. They can play with their toys one it, have a snack or color pictures for a long time. It will probably pass through the family for cousins etc. and might even make it to the next generation. (Happens before you know it!) Children need toys which give them an environment for creative play. Most children don't play with many of their toys but parents keep them anyway. Little boys love trucks and cars and trains and things that enable them to play with them creating all sorts of imaginary scenes. Matchbox cars are fabulous and a little spot of dirt or sand will make them happy. Speaking of sand....I used to love playing in a sand box, until I was pretty big. Loved the damp kind of sand that could make great cakes out of inverted containers. Find a way to cover it so the animals don't use it but buy the right kind of sand. Don't get that stuff that won't make roads and cakes. I know someone who has a large bucket of sand on her porch for the children to play in, and they do.

Let me just list some of my favorite toys for children:
Books, cars, trains, real looking baby dolls, dolls that can be dressed later when they are learning to sew and knit, house stuff like kitchens, pans, dishes and ironing boards, blocks, particularly the nesting kind. For some children construction stuff like Capsula or legos. Can't remember all of the names of these kits that enable children to make something. Great for following directions. What about puzzles or games, the kind that they play together. I'm not going to get into the video stuff...well, Wii can be good for the family together.
I bought Madame Alexander dolls for my girls when they were $9 and we had quite a collection. There was a shelf in my older daughters room that was filled. Once, when she was older, I said to her that she never played with them. She said, "What do you mean, I would imagine myself being each of those characters as I was falling asleep at night". There were dolls from history, characters from stories and from foreign lands. I got tears in my eyes.
Of course good riding toys are great. Don't rush the bike, a tricycle can't be beat. Apparently a skooter is good training for balance and preparation for riding a two wheeler. Forget the training wheels, wait until they can balance. Big wheels are probably the best all time riding toy, next to bikes. I have been called Granny Bikes because I have two big wheels and a green machine and two bikes at my house. Of course, I have the 6th grandson on the way. Buy these things at garage sales if they are not worn out, most will be.
If you have a child interested in music, do anything that you can to encourage it, but consider getting an inexpensive "real" instrument.
As they get older, sports equipment and finally, travel can be the best for their development.
This is getting to be longer than I intended but do give the gift choices some consideration. Children are overwhelmed by so much and it is a mess to keep up with. Think basics and things that will encourage growth. Good luck...happy holidays...early

No comments:

Post a Comment