Friday, October 16, 2009

names, names, names

Most parents ponder for months the name of their new baby. It is important because it contributes to the persona of the person for the rest of their life. It is unfortunate that the person cannot have some of the input into the choice. I speak from the position of being named for my great grandmother. But, to this day, when I introduce myself to a new person, I cringe when I say my name. It wasn't helped when my son found a list of the worst names, mine was there. I like my middle name, which was for my grandmother. It has been used with the next two generations but I have threatened my children if they name a child after me. I am serious.

I have four children and I think that all of them like their names except for one. He thinks that it is a little boy name. He prefers the traditional names like Sam, Jack, John, Bill and says that he has never known anyone with one of this designer names who is worth much. Generalization I am sure but that is his perspective. Women tend to want the unique name for their special child. Be careful with family names, nice if it is a name that they won't cringe for the rest of their life when saying it.

Names go in cycles, obviously. My generation the "new" names were Carol, Betty, Patsy, Gayle, Elaine. When have you heard those names used today? I think that the names that are being used are some of the ugliest. I won't go into those since it might offend someone. You can almost guess the age of someone named Renee or Jennifer or Kelly. Think about it, your child's personality will make the name his. Some of my favorite names for girls are Susan, Emily, Ann, Laura, none of which did I use. For boys, I like names that can't be confused for girls or "y" added on. Bob becomes Bobby, John, Johnny etc. Also, don't use a name that has to be spelled every time they go to the doctor or have to sign up for something. How will it look on a ballot or marquis? As my mother, they all cost the same, just give it some thought from different perspectives. Also, watch for initials. I laugh when I think of my friend whose initials are ASS, well, it was her married name, but she can't even get an acceptable monogram by putting the last name in the middle. Good luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment