Sunday, December 6, 2009

Nursing homes

I know its difficult. You don't know what to say to these people who seem almost dead or comatose. They have food on their clothes, or worse. It makes everyone think, "Dear, God, please don't let me end up like this", but it happens. This is a part of life. Often the body outlasts the mind or vice versa. The trick is to get both of them to wear out at the same time. Just doesn't happen often. I am going to say it now, as my mother did once. Don't ever feel badly if I should be found dead somewhere unexpectedly. My mother had a friend who died sweeping the patio at her house. Mother thought that was great. My mother wasn't so lucky, she lingered and suffered a long time, not what anyone of us would want. So when someone dies after 80, without pain, be grateful, consider it a gift. I would sign up for that. Visiting the nursing home makes you aware of how bad life can be and this is in a place where they are taken care of, clean, warm, well fed and medicine available. I know, that can be worse but in our society maybe we make it too good. I have a living will, but for my children and friends, don't make me suffer to live any longer than necessary. If there is not any joy left in living, let me go as comfortably as possible. If I don't want to eat or drink, please don't make me. And while I am at it, visit the friends and family that you know in the nursing home. They get blue and are lonely. Take them for a drive sometime if it is feasible. Take a magazine or a bag of candy or anything that is not readily available and pleasant. I see people who are at the nursing home and don't have anyone to visit. I wonder if they have families....
Oh, and make my room pretty...not with just nursing home stuff or your old junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment